When we think of the month of May, we think of the beginning of nicer, warmer weather. We think of getting out to do some gardening, going for walks, taking the kids to the park. To me it is all those things but it is much more. It is remembering our mothers for Mother’s Day. Those that are near or far and those that have left us too soon.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link
Today marks the second anniversary of my mother’s passing. It is still hard to believe that she is gone. We still talk about her, remember her, and smile at the memories we made with her. We try not to be sad. I want to remember all the happy times we shared. We will cherish them forever.
A mother’s love is like no other. You feel comfort. You feel safe in her arms. No matter how old we are, we still need our mothers. When I became a mother myself, I still needed her guidance. I tried to follow in her footsteps. I can only hope to be half the woman she was. Everything that I am, I owe to her. She inspired me and taught me so much.
Is there something that you hold dear to your heart because it reminds you of your mother? Something she does or something she wears. Everytime you see it, it reminds you of her. Perhaps it’s a picture of the two of you or a perfume you remember her wearing. There is always something that you remember from your childhood that is a reminder of your mother.
Well, my mother had this beautiful fuschia diamond-shaped ring that she wore. My dad gifted her with it when they met. I remember that ring on my mother’s finger, when I was a child. I remember thinking how big and beautiful it looked on my mother’s hand.
So, when my mother passed away and we had to go through her things, I remembered how special and important that ring was to me. It reminded me so much of her and how happy we all were. I had to find it. But I couldn’t find it anywhere. Where was this ring?
I scoured her home for this ring. My husband and children helped me look for it. After days of looking in every room, I gave it another shot. In a dresser drawer that for some reason I never looked, way in the back, underneath things, I found this little round, red velvet box. It was old.
I opened the box and inside was that glorious ring that I was looking for. I thought I would never find it. It had become my most prized possession. There were tears of joy. I wear it almost everyday. I look at my hand countless times a day. And every time I look down at the ring on my finger, I see my mother’s hand wearing this ring.
So the question is: What gift can we give to our mothers for Mother’s Day? There are all kinds of gifts we can give. There are the store-bought kind or the homemade kind (from children: love those) and there are the “give mommy a break kind”. 🙂 Lol!
Here are a few ideas to help you get that perfect gift for your mom on Mother’s Day
Some ideas for THAT PERFECT GIFT for mother’s day:
- Flowers – this is at the top of my list. It fills a house with a beautiful fragrance and dresses up our dining table
- Chocolate – my fav. What woman wouldn’t want a box of chocolates?
- Manicure – a simple gift card to her favourite manicurist
- Spa day – wow . . . this is a must. What a grand gesture this would be.
- Mommy and me photo – speaking as a photographer (lol) this is most precious. A photo with mom and her little ones. A photograph to cherish through generations
- Shopping spree – yay. Count me in. Whenever.
- Girls weekend – now you’re talkin’. Away from all the havoc
- Book – book lover
- Alone time – I could go for that at least once a week 🙂
- Perfume – ahhh yes. My husband always knows what I would like. Perfect gift
- Homemade gift from children – I received two of these kinds of gifts and they were the best gift i ever received. From both my children when they just started kindergarten. They made a tiny flower out of clay. It sits on my desk in my office so it’s the first thing I see everyday.
- Movie night – I love all kinds of movies. How about you? Perfect date night. Or go it alone.
- Dinner out – who wouldn’t love this. After a long day at work and you don’t have to cook. I’m the first one out the door. Lol!!
- Breakfast in bed – my kids did this for me one year. I absolutely loved it. The little munchkins. Got a bowl of milk with my cereal. Yummy!!!
- Prepare own lunches – wouldn’t that be grand . . . you don’t have to make the kids lunches because your significant other made them or your children gave you a break and prepared it themselves
- Prepare dinner – what’s better than going out for dinner. The family making dinner for you.
- Bake cookies – kids can help dad bake cookies – yummy!!
- Do the dishes – nothing I like better than the kids doing the dishes instead of me
What brings you comfort and joy, remembering your mom? I’m sure it’s something so simple but special. You need to go give your mom a great big hug. Cherish the time you have together. Don’t take advantage of each other. Enjoy everyday to the fullest.
To all the beautiful mothers, may you have a very Happy Mother’s Day!!