Most sandwich “recipes” are actually just templates because there are so many options available in terms of bread, cheese, meat, vegetables, and condiments you can use.
However, when it comes to the much-loved bacon, lettuce, and tomato (BLT), any purist will tell you that there is one “true” way to make and enjoy their beloved sandwich: Super soft white bread, iceberg lettuce, mayonnaise (and lots of it), plus the requisite trifecta of sandwich-y goodness for which it is named.
A little boring? Most definitely.
To liven things up a bit, this “recipe” takes a couple of liberties with this tried-and-true classic. Super soft white bread is swapped out for delicious sourdough, and plain mayonnaise is replaced with a rich and creamy avocado spread.
To make 2 sandwiches the prep time is approximately 15 minutes and the cooking time is 10 minutes.
Avocado Spread ingredients:
1 large ripe avocado, cut into small chunks
½ c. full-fat Greek yogurt
1 large clove garlic, finely minced
1½ T. fresh lime juice (approximately ½ lime)
1½ t. ground cumin
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste.
Basic Sandwich Ingredients:
6 slices bacon
4 slices sourdough bread
2 T. unsalted butter, melted
8 leaves Boston Bibb lettuce
2 medium heirloom tomatoes (preferably red and yellow)
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
how to prepare sandwiches:
Combine together avocado, greek yogurt and garlic leaving some small chunks of avocado in the mixture. Add lime juice and cumin and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Combine and cover tightly.
Place bacon strips on a microwave-safe plate. Cover bacon with paper towels and cook in microwave for 3-4 minutes until crispy.
Brush one side of each piece of bread with melted butter. Heat a grill pan over medium heat and place bread, buttered side down. Apply light pressure with spatula. Once grill marks have formed, remove from heat.
Allow bread to cool slightly, then add avocado spread to 2 of the slices on the non-grilled side.
Divide the lettuce, tomato, and cooked bacon slices between the two sandwiches and top each with the remaining pieces of grilled bread.
Cut in half and serve immediately with your favorite side dish or potato chips. Enjoy!
Tip: If possible, prepare the avocado spread in advance to give the flavors a chance to develop. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired, before using.
BLT with Creamy Avocado Spread
Avocado Spread Ingredients:
- 1 large ripe avocado – cut into small chunks
- ½ c. full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 large clove garlic – finely minced
- 1½ T. fresh lime juice – approximately ½ lime
- 1½ t. ground cumin
- Sea salt and black pepper – to taste.
Basic Sandwich Ingredients:
- 6 slices bacon
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 T. unsalted butter – melted
- 8 leaves Boston Bibb lettuce
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes – preferably red and yellow
- Sea salt and black pepper – to taste
- Place the avocado, Greek yogurt, and garlic in a medium bowl and combine thoroughly with a fork, leaving some small chunks of avocado in the mixture. Add the lime juice and cumin, and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir to combine and cover tightly. Set aside.
- Line a microwave-safe plate with paper towels and place the bacon strips on it. Cover the bacon with more paper towels and place in the microwave for 3-4 minutes on high, or until bacon is cooked through, but not too crispy. (Cook time will vary, so check after 2 minutes and adjust remaining time as needed).
- Brush one side of each piece of bread with the melted butter. Heat grill pan over medium heat and place bread, buttered side down, on the pan. Apply light pressure to each slice with a spatula, being careful not to move the bread in the process. Once nice grill marks have formed, remove from heat and set aside.
- Allow bread to cool slightly, then add avocado spread to 2 of the slices on the non-grilled side. Divide the lettuce, tomato, and cooked bacon slices between the two sandwiches and top each with the remaining pieces of grilled bread. Cut in half and serve immediately with your favorite side dish or potato chips. Enjoy!